PlayMore Golf - Pay it as it lies?

 PlayMore Golf - Pay it as it lies?

Introduction

Playmoregolf (PMG) is a great idea for the avid South African golfer, be it the scratch player down to a weekend hacker. If you play a lot of games, say 4 times a month, you can pay a measly R800 for 4 rounds of golf which equates to R200 per game. If you play once a month, you get a game for R269. 

There's a nice portal where you can log in and book for yourself and your golf buddies as well. You can even see who's on the tee-sheet in cases there's a bloke you'd rather not play with. Some memberships give you 10% of your purchases at the Pro-shop owned by the same company. 

Apparently the golf industry is worth R18 billion rand in South Africa, of which there are maybe 2 major players, Pro Shop and the Golfer's club. I have to say, I get better service at the Golfer's club versus the Pro-shop, so when the Pro-shop has a better price on something I want, I know I have to sell my self out a little (sometimes cheap goods trumps taking a stand).


Caveats (i.e. extra charges)

There are caveat's however, I will go through examples of courses in PMG where the final price you pay is not what you thought you signed up for.

 

Ebotse Links

below is a screenshot from their lovely member's portal where you can book a game.

 

What you have to note is the price ranges. The price can vary depending on some reason I'm not quite sure of. Maybe there's a peak period price or something, but there isn't something definitive.  So let me select the lovely Ebotse Links, a real links course nestled in the Ebotse country Estate in Benoni.

As you can see, you will pay maybe R200 for the game, but also compulsory R200 for one of two seats on the Golf car. This is a premier course so may be worth it, but for the player on the other end of the spectrum trying to find the cheapest game of golf, this isn't it. There are occasions when you are allowed to pull your cart, but in this case its compulsory.

So in addition to the above fees, there's the hidden compulsory fees at certain clubs. For example, at Killarney another immaculate course, you are forced to pay R90 for the halfway meal. This is reasonable if you were planning to buy a meal at the halfway house anyway, but if you are the golfer with a low budget, then you would rather pack your own sandwiches and lessen the  blow of losing your balls in the amazing holes guarded by water. (The par 5's are awesome, and the par 4 18th isn't the easiest). The greens are Killarney are some of the truest greens you can find in the country. However, what leaves a sad taste in your mouth is the compulsory R90 fee.

In addition to this fee, there's a R25 water levy. This I'm assuming is for the repairs to the slutes and waterways that have had major work done to shore them up.  So in effect, you are paying R269 + R115 =R384 for a round. I wonder how much you'd pay if you pitched and played at affiliate rates?

Germiston

Another example of the levy system, at Germiston which is a championship course some while back, you will pay R30 water levy. Even though this is more reasonable than that of Killarney, it still irks me that I'm paying this money. Its one of my favourite course, if you score a good round here, you know you've played well. I believe you can get a game for R160 here in the week, however for a guy like me who pays R269 for 1 game a month, its not worth it. My monthly PMG subs are R269, and now I still have to fork out R30 for the levy.

 

 Other courses

There are plenty other courses on the Playmoregolf roster, and if you can get a booking there, you don't have to pay extra levies. An example of a course like this is CMR, where you just need to have a sandbag, for which you can pay and there is a refundable deposit. You play your game and the price you pay in the price you pay, no hidden costs. Its not in the same tier as the previous courses mentioned, but there isn't that bad taste in your mouth when you feel you're being ripped off.

Access to World of Golf Practice Range

One of the greatest benefits for me was where you got free entrance into world of Golf on a weekday before 2pm. I went there this weekend to discover that this service had been dropped since April 2022. Not sure if it was a COVID freebie, however was disappointing so hear that. It was interesting that this was never listed as one of the benefits of membership, and was hush-hush unless you spoke to an agent there. Anyway, c'est la vie.


Last Minute Golf

So the people who bring you PMG also have the same reskinned site called lastminutegolf.Here a game at Germiston is R220 (instead of the R160) , R115=R335, which is R49 cheaper for me. (halfway and water levy still apply). Only thing here is that I can't use my birdie points like PMG, and the buddies have to pay the full price (if  they are member of PMG, they can't use their free games). I guess the best option is to have my PMG friend book me as a visitor when their PMG game allows visitors.


Time Value of Money

So I have to say I've been a member of Playmoregolf for more than around 6 years now, when I was on the PMG4 I used to play much more. The cost of rounds hasn't increased that much if you bring inflation into the picture. I guess they were trying to make the golf still attractive to the average golfer. One could say that these levies and compulsory fees are a way for the courses to recoup their costs. At the end of the day,  if the additional charges don't affect you, then this isn't a problem. 

Conclusion

For a guy like me who's more regular at missing the one "free" game per month than actually playing it regularly, it may not be. There are other packages which I can consider which are even cheaper, obviously without the discount benefits at the Pro Shop.  I will need to investigate these. Lastminute golf is an option, however I lose the birdie points and the 10% discount, and forfeit my R700 joining fee.

I think PMG should be more upfront on their portal though. When they display the price for Killarney, its R385, not R200. For Ebotse, its R400 incl. cart, not R200. Maybe that's what really irks me in the end. Please comment, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this subject are.

Update - Birdie Points    

I discovered Birdie Points. You receive these points every time you purchase goods from the Pro Shop. I think the conversion is 2 birdie points=R1. This does give you an advantage, in December I played two games with just my birdie points. I received points when I bought a golf cart from them as well as for other small purchases. This may sway one;'s decision to go with lastminutegolf vs the playmoregolf route.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog